Maine. Home. Home? It was nice to breathe in the fresh cool air. We had a few weeks of repairs lined up and it was quickly clear that it would take longer than anticipated.
We parked on our family’s lawn which was multipurpose: help with the repairs and help with the kids. Eloise loved it and enjoyed visiting with everyone. Eliza enjoyed all the new faces. Many thanks to all the family members who pitched in to help with all of our projects. We completed tasks fast and furiously and barely stopped to take any photos of it.
- Disk brake conversion! (A huge DIY project)
- Baby swing hanging in the toy bay area
- Lowered the happijack bed to normal floor height (no more climbing a ladder to get into our bed!)
- Kids bunk beds modified to fit neatly into the bedroom slide
- School desk built for Eloise starting kindergarten
- Living room painted white
- Kids room painted white (it was a very light green that ended up looking white)
- Curtains measured and to be sewn, all old dark valances removed
- Camper washed and waxed
- All new tires for camper
- All new tires for the truck
It seemed that just as we were ‘fixing’ things even more things were breaking. We couldn’t move our home without something going wrong. Kevin had been in contact with the manufacturer and they agreed that it would be best if our camper returned to the factory for major structural repairs and all minor repair work. In the interim, we were told that it would be best to keep a list of all broken items and limp it along until our camper could get to the ‘hospital’ in Elkhart, Indiana as Eloise called it.
After numerous hours on the phone with Keystone, Kevin was finally scheduled to drive it out to Indiana to drop it off on July 24th. His dad graciously agreed to tag along and help with the driving while the girls and I sat this trip out in Maine. His dad also helped with emptying our home contents into a storage unit. (Yes, you read that right, Keystone requested the camper be empty of personal items–what a pain!).
Its official: our camper is in the hospital. When will we get it back? 4 weeks or so we have been told…stay tuned!